If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.SouthCarolina.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Composting...it's a dirty job


OK, here's the dirt...(pun intended)...on composting.

I can't help it, I just gotta put a giggle in all this. Composting ain't one of the most sexy of topics...in fact it's literally worm dirt. But I gotta tell ya, if you want to grow a garden and your dirt is pretty poor...you're only gonna grow a bunch of weeds if you don't buy bags of fertilizers...Costly......or start composting a pile of the err...stuff.

Composting done right will turn household kitchen & yard waste into nutrient-rich soil. Add a little moisture, a little air, toss in some worms, and voila!...potting soil better n' store bought. Plus, you'll never run out of live bait (worms).

Don't take my word for it...check out what the good folks at http://www.enviromom.com/ have to say on the subject.



And if that ain't enough dirt-digging, here's a great website that can really get you knee-deep in the pile.

2 comments:

Humble wife said...

Thanks for the links! I am always willing to improve on my farm life!
Jennifer

Kymber said...

Teehee....you are someone after my own heart - i loooove composting and have been doing it for almost a year now. My hubby built me some home-made composters out of garbage cans and buckets! and i cannot wait to get into my compost this year and refill my tire gardens with that beautiful soil that i grew myself! it is amazing how much compost you can create if you save all of your kitchen scraps! thanks for the vids and the great website link!

South Carolina Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. South Carolina Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.